Monday, February 2, 2015

Imagine you're drowning...and someone hands you a baby

My genius plan of never having to be alone with all 4 of my kids at once experienced an epic fail last week.  Our much relied upon nanny Mona was out sick with a stomach virus Monday through Wednesday and then slipped and fell on ice Thursday evening, injuring her shoulder badly enough to be in an emergency room until 3am Friday morning getting treatment.  The poor woman couldn't catch a break!

I have to say that I was surprised at how well I managed with the kids, even if I was counting down the minutes until Heidi showed up at 4pm to take two of them off my hands!  The past 5 years of parenting have taught me a priceless lesson:  it will all be okay if you keep your expectations low, very, very low.  Once I let go of any hope of achieving anything beyond feeding and cleaning the children, everything was fine.  Taking a bathroom break and choking down a granola bar between diaper changes and bottle cleanings were major victories.

Comedian Jim Gaffigan does a good job of summing it all up here:  http://fascinately.com/funny/2015/01/whats-it-like-having-4-kids-imagine-youre-drowning-and-someone-hands-you-a-baby/

Now I know that the world won't end if I'm on my own with the kiddies, but I also know that I can't wait for Mona to be back at 100% :)


No comments:

Post a Comment